Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Day 37, The wind huffed, it puffed but it could not blow my bike down.......but it did blow up my skirt

So I am a man of my word for all of you that helped raise the $500 for me to wear a skirt here is your payment.

So today was a ride from Aguila, AZ to Blythe, CA.  That's right folks we are in the last state of this trip and we are ready to see this thing through.  The morning started out great, Kerri's knee was feeling better and we were in a little better groove.  The pace was not particularly fast but everyone was riding well and enjoying themselves and that is what it is all about.

At lunch Kerri decided it was time to stop and help Dad with the SAG duties.  Mom was not feeling good so she went to the doctors.  Turns out she has a sinus infection and hopefully will be feeling better in a few days so she can enjoy the last day of the ride.  For us the ride after lunch meant the beginning of the wind for the day.  The forecast called for gusts of up to 36mph and I think it did that and more.    I would rank today as the 2nd windiest day we have had on this trip.  I have to say that I am proud of Kurt, I could see that he was not enjoying the ride but he just kept pedaling Right on through the wind.  This may seem like a small task but let me tell you it would have been much easier to just say I am out.  He has chosen to ride each day for someone, or a group that has to deal with Parkinson's.  I think this really gave him the motivation he needed to fight through it.  I know it gave me motivation to keep going.

Lesson for the day:  The human spirit is strong on its own but when you combine it with the willingness to put oneself through something for others it is unbeatable.  I have seen many times on this trip my brothers, sister and Kyle push on for the others and not for themselves.  What a privilege to watch  this spirit in action.

1 comment: