Tuesday, May 24, 2011

San Diego, is this the end?...................or just the beggining?


I am now three days removed from one of the most challenging and rewarding things I have ever done with my life.  I am glad i waited to write this post and reflect a little bit on what this has all meant to me and to others.  First let me say that it was so great to finish this ride with all of my family involved.  My brothers, sister and dad rode independently and my mom and i were on the tandem and we all road onto the beach together.  I think it was fitting that the reason we did this was for families like ours and it was as a family that we completed this part of our journey.

When I sent my bother that simple text a year and half ago I could not have imagined that something like this would ever come to be.  We have had so many people join us in our journey and in supporting us that it really took on a life of its own.  When you look at Pops Ride today what you see is not one or two peoples idea or task you see the result of the love and involvement of everyone who has touched the ride in some way.  I have been honored to make new friendships from this that i think will last a lifetime.  I have had people tell me that we have inspired them to chase there dreams or to get involved with a cause that in someway is important to them.  I never thought that I would ever have that affect on anyone in anyway.  To hear those things said to you is a very powerful experience that I do not take lightly.

I have talked to many people who have set goals like this and have been told they are left with very little sense of accomplishment.  I have felt that when doing other types of endurance events such as marathons or hiking rim to rim of the canyon.  As much as I felt good about completing those things there always seemed to be something missing.  I don't know if it is that i felt people expected me to be able to do it and so when i did it was just like oh i knew that could be done. 
With this I don't feel that empty part.  They physical part of riding was something that I felt I could do and that i expected to do.  But the emotional part of this trip and the affect it seems to have had on others is what truly has filled that void.  That feeling is something I would like to keep having and that I would like to find a way for others to experience.

So if you want to know how I feel about the ride let me sum it up by saying it was an amazing adventure that I could not have anticipated.  Did it change me in some way, you bet I learned a lot about myself and others not just during the ride but before it.  Would I do this again, without a second thought (although I might suggest going west to east next time).  What next, my hope is that we can create an annual Pops Ride that riders of all ages can participate in.  Family is what this is all about and that is what the follow up ride should be about. 

Lesson for the day:  I originally was going to keep this simple and just leave you with the word Family but now I don't think that does justice to this ride.  I have always been big on stepping away from work and trying to really enjoy life.  That could have been hanging out at home, camping, riding, spending time with my family etc..  What i did not realize then but do now is that time is fleeting and we don't always take the time to do things with those we care about because something else is more important to us.  What really matters in life is not the big game or buying a new TV or whatever it really is the memories you create with those around you.  Taking the time to hang out with you Parents, siblings, nieces,nephews,wives,husbands, friends etc. may prove to be something that changes there lives or brightens their day. 

Family, I have a great one.  I am very lucky to be part of a family that cares about each other. I hope that each of you that has been part of this knows that I care about you.  The word family and friend to me are one in the same.

Thank you for being part of Pops Ride and I know that it truly has become.  Your Ride, Your Cause and Your Passion.

1 comment:

  1. Shannon, you are an amazing man and I am so proud to know you. I am anxious to get to know you better. Thanks for the strength that you lent to me on the ride. You were awesome. I love you and your wonderful family. Bolt

    ReplyDelete