Friday, May 9, 2014

A day to search your soul

Today was an odd day all the way around.  We had beautiful scenery all around us but it was also hidden in the mist and overcast of the day.  At times it would rain and at times the sun would try to shine but all day i was sweating.  This ride is so different we are not pushing hard we are rolling at what ever pace dad and Carl can ride.  We are talking to more people and are i think doing a better job of informing them.  It has been very rewarding in that sense.  

Today we say goodbye to Jerry and Dewayne who have done a terrific job for us.  We are in your debt and i want to say thank you so much.  You both have brought energy to our group.  Also today Mona and Nathan arrived and will be with us for the next week.  I am sure they will do a great job and keep things fresh and new.

The title refers to my own "plight" for the day.  That is probably not the right word but i am not sure how else to say it.  I struggled all day with different thoughts and emotions about life in general, put it out there to the big man upstairs and now i will wait for an answer.  Life is funny in that the things you think you want are not always what is best for you or what you need.  I know that seems like common sense but at times it is not easy to always see this from your own perspective.  I spent a lot of time thinking about the things that have happened to my family and myself and those around me over the years.  Thought about where i am in my life and where i need to go.  Today i can say i really thought about these things and much more.  Like i said it was a soul searching day and i think that may not be the last one of this trip.  It is really hitting me what my dad is going through and i am going to have to deal with it.  He is still the man i look up to but he just can't do things as quickly as he once could.  I am still honored to call him dad, father and of course POP's.













4 comments:

  1. I saw a new PD patient today. Drove through wind and rain, up steep and winding roads to get to her. . . . . . and thought of my POPs friends out there riding to impact change. I know that your efforts will one day reach her in order to improve her life. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When the child becomes a care partner to a parent, it is heart wrenching. My Father had Parkinson's (I had symptoms before he did, but wasn't yet diagnosed) and I was his main care partner for the last year of his life. It was difficult to see him failing, but knowing he could now count on me instead of me always counting on him for help is what got both of us through. Having seen what PD can do first hand, and knowing that my future will most likely end like his did, doesn't frighten me, it encourages me to keep moving, keep fighting, keep trying to stay positive and reading your blog stories (I read ALL of the POPs blogs) gives me a renewed sense of hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for you both for your comments. They were both insperational and humbling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You expressed your thoughts beautifully, Shannon. I firmly believe there is a purpose in care giving, and a purpose in care receiving. As my dad became more confused, I reminded myself that "he may not understand much, but he understands kindness." You and your siblings are awesome. What a wonderful legacy your parents have given you~

    ReplyDelete