Thursday, May 8, 2014

Wet feet dont fail me know...

Tonights blog is going to be short as we had a short day for two reasons.  One Shane came up with a great fund raising idea as we were riding through the wet and dirty streets of OR. What if we ask people to donate $20 a mile to get us off the bikes and out of this weather early.  Well the response was great as we raised $460 dollars and cut our mileage by 15 miles today.  The left over mileage we will take off of tomorrow route which again will be rainy.  Thank you everyone who donated, if more donate tonight then we will continue to shorten the ride tomorrow.
The second reason is the winds and rain picked up substantially.  We would be cruising along and then a gust of at least 30mph would hit you and almost stop your progress.  Add some rain to that and it was definitely interesting at times.
All in all i have to admit it was a good day on the bike.  I stopped at a bike shop in Bandon, OR today to get my brake fixed.  Had to get a new cable as the old one had some issues.  Now happily i can stop.  I also picked up some new shoe covers as my old ones were just not keeping them warm or dry.   I also had my first, and hopefully only tumble today, i clipped Shane's tires as we rode past the sag wagon, lapse in concentration a little wind and bingo down i went.  No damage to me but my rain jacket took a bit of a hit.  Should be ok as it looks like it just scuffed the outside but only time and water will tell.
Again i want to thank everyone who donated today to helping us get off the bikes and raise some money for POPs ride.  We are looking forward to having some funds to help those with PD stay active.  if you have any ideas or challenges for us in which you think you could raise funds send them our way.  I know i am up for it if it helps raise money and awareness.

Oh yah almost forgot we stopped at a place to eat called the Greasy Spoon.  Food was good and it was a real local joint for sure.  Crazy part was that it was inside of a mobile home.  Not a mobile home park but an actual mobile home.  If you are ever in Lang Louis and want to try something unique this is the place to stop.
Thought of the day:
I want to introduce you to a few of my cycling rules, these can also be applied to most things.  Number one is key to a lot in life.
1. Never panic
2. Find  your rhythm
3. Stay hydrated
4. Eat often
5. Ride straight and Strong
6. Never Panic, yes it is
7. if you go down hop back up check your bike and then check yourself.  Then laugh because if you are standing up looking at your bike you are ok and that is all that maters.

Everyone, i am sorry that my Blogs have been all over the place on this trip i will try to get it together for the last half.  I would love to hear from you all.  I would like to know what questions you have about the ride, myself, others on the team and Parkinsons of course.

1 comment:

  1. No need to apologize...your blogs are GREAT! Keep up the great job and I cannot wait to get back.

    ReplyDelete